My name is Cara Waters and I am a journalist and blogger based in Melbourne. This blog is a record of travels, restaurants, cook books (my porn) and kitchen adventures. Most restaurant and travel reviews are conducted anonymously and generally accompanied by MTV which is a reference to meat and three veg, his favourite type of meal.
I aim to find the best places to eat out in Melbourne, London and around the world . This doesn’t necessarily mean they are the most expensive places or Michelin star places (although I do like to go to those when I have not blown my entire salary on shoes). I like to eat everywhere gourmet whether it is a street stall, pizza joint or a high end restaurant.
How often do you visit a restaurant before reviewing?
Where can I read more about Gourmet Chick?
- Tomatom (April 2014) ranked Gourmet Chick as second in a list of Melbourne’s top 200+ bloggers.
- Bandt (April 2014) also covered Gourmet Chick’s number two ranking.
- Sunday Style magazine (August 2013) included Gourmet Chick as one of its “top notch bloggers”. They said “Waters chronicles her search for Melbourne’s best eating and drinking, along with travel tales and recipes. Engaging and well-written, Gourmet Chick posts regularly – but isn’t caught up in ambulance-chasing openings. A good read.”
- The City Apartment Book (April 2013) ranked Gourmet Chick as one of its five best luxury and lifestyle blogs.
- Qantas (July 2012) featured Gourmet Chick as a travel ambassador on its website Hooroo.
- My Travel Money (July 2012) ranked Gourmet Chick as one of its Top 10 Foodie Travel Blogs.
- Edge Retreats (April 2012) ranked Gourmet Chick as one of the world’s Top 20 luxury travel blogs.
- Mise En Place (April 2012) featured an interview with me where I talked about my favourite chef and pet restaurant hate.
- The Guardian (November 2011) featured Gourmet Chick in its Christmas Gift Ideas.
- Cision (November 2011) ranked Gourmet Chick as the number one UK Food and Travel blog.
- London Confidential (August 2011) featured an interview with me covering everything from extreme diets to signature dishes.
- Food News Journal (January 2011) highlighted the Gourmet Chick interview with Antonio Carluccio in “Best of the Blogs“
- Top Table (December 2010) featured Gourmet Chick as “one of the UK’s top food bloggers”, and I was featured again on Top Table in January 2011, March 2011 and in December 2011.
- Olive magazine (July 2010) featured Gourmet Chick as blog of the month. Olive said: “Cara Waters is an Aussie living in London, and her blog offers a great mix of recipes and restaurant reviews plus coverage of some exciting foodie trips. There are lots of lovely pics to inspire you and appealing recipes such as her lemon and chicken cous cous.”
I generally visit restaurants anonymously and I pay for everything myself. Sometimes I am invited along to try a restaurant but I always make this clear in the review and not paying for a meal is no guarantee of a good review.