These chocolate brownies are deliciously fudgy. The combination of brownies and fresh raspberries makes them even more covetable. Using raspberries rather than the traditional brownie accompaniment of walnuts also means that if you are giving these to children you don’t have to worry about any issues with nut allergies. Serve warm as a dessert with ice-cream or cream or, as I have done this year, divide the brownies into noodle boxes, tie with ribbon and you have an irresistible home made gift.
200g dark chocolate chopped
1 and 3/4 cups brown sugar
1 and 1/3 cups plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup cocoa
1 1/2 cups raspberries
1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
2. Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan over low heat and stir until melted and lump free. Place in a bowl with the sugar and eggs.
3. Sift in the flour, baking powder and cocoa and mix to combine.
4. Pour into a 23cm greased square or oblong cake/slice tin lined with baking paper.
5. Push the raspberries into the mixture and bake for 30 -35 mins until set.
6. Leave in tin for a few minutes until slightly cooled and then slice.
This recipe is adapted from Donna Hay’s Instant Entertaining (yes I admit I am addicted to Donna Hay’s books). It is slightly drier than a traditional brownie recipe as the fresh raspberries will add moisture.