I love experimenting with food and cooking new and elaborate recipes but to be honest that sort of cooking is strictly for weekends when I have the time. If I am eating at home on a weeknight and prefer something speedy and straight forward. This is where this courgette carbonara comes in. It is quick and simple to rustle up after work. The pasta has the creamy silky taste of carbonara with the twist of strands of courgette mixed in with the pasta to add texture and colour.
70g cubed pancetta
100g button mushrooms, sliced
2 courgettes (zucchinis), grated
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 egg yolk
5 tbsp single cream
30g parmesan grated
Salt and pepper to season
1. Cook the pancetta and mushrooms in a dry, non stick pan for 4 minutes or until the pancetta is crisp and the mushrooms are browned. There is no need to add oil or butter as there is enough fat on the pancetta itself.
2. Add the grated courgette and garlic and cook for 8 minutes or until the courgette is softened and cooked through.
3. Meanwhile, mix the egg, cream and parmesan and season with pepper.
4. Cook the pasta and lift it out of the water with tongs straight into the courgette pan. If a little of the pasta water also drips in the pan this will loosen your sauce.
5. Mix well and then take the pan off the heat and toss with the egg and cream mix. Season to serve.
Serves 2. Recipe adapted from a similar recipe in Olive magazine.