Olive and rosemary focaccia

This recipe was almost a disaster. I had volunteered to make a starter for dinner at my friend Nicky’s house and had got all the ingredients together for an olive and rosemary focaccia. I was organised enough and started making the focaccia a few hours before dinner until I read with horror instructions in the recipe such as “leave to rise in a warm place for two hours”. My mental math calculations are not what you would call lightening quick but it did not take me long to realise that the only way we would be eating focaccia at Nicky’s house was as a dessert at the end of the meal. I had to abandon the focaccia and turn to a back up plan for a starter but when I returned from dinner several hours later the focaccia had risen beautifully and was all ready to be popped into the oven for a toasty treat the next day.
The moral of the story boys and girls is that if you are going to make this focaccia you will need at least five hours to spare. It is not like you are working away those whole five hours, most of the time you are doing something else while the yeast works its magic. Sadly though this process can not be rushed. No amount of blasting with hairdryers will make the dough rise more quickly (I have learnt this from personal trial and error). In a way that is quite a nice thing. The focaccia takes its time but sometimes the good things in life can’t be rushed.
Ingredients
330g strong white bread flour
1 tsp light brown sugar
2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp coarse sea salt
50g pitted kalamata olives
2 sprigs of rosemary
Starter
1 1/2 tsp active dried yeast
420ml bottled still spring water luke warm
330g strong white bread flour
1. For the starter put the yeast and water in a large mixing bowl and stir until the yeast dissolves. Add the flour and stir until there is a porridge like consistency. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and leave somewhere warm (next to the heater works well for me!) for about two hours or until it has doubled in size.
2. Mix the starter with the flour, sugar and olive oil. Knead for about six minutes, then add the salt and knead further until the salt is mixed through.
3. Brush a large bowl with oil, place the dough in it and brush the surface of the dough with more oil. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and leave in a warm place for one hour or until the dough has again doubled in size.
4. Turn the dough on to a floured bench and stretch and flatten it into a rectangle. Take one of the short ends of the rectangle and fold it into the centre, take the other end and fold it over the first one to form three layers of dough.
5. Brush a heavy baking tray (around 30cm x 40cm) with oil. Lift the dough on to the tray and flatten it by pressing hard with your hands. Cover with cling film and leave to rise for another hour. During this time check on the dough a couple of times and press it down, spreading it to the edges of the tray.
6. Preheat the oven to 220C. Press the olives and rosemary into the top of the focaccia and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake in the oven for 10 mins and then reduce the heat to 190C and continue for 15-20 mins or until golden. When it is out of the oven and still hot brush with plenty of olive oil.
Adapted from the Ottolenghi Cookbook.
Other recipes you may be interested in which are great for lunch or starters are this recipe for a French capital salad or this one for crab croquettes.
Posted by: on January 13th, 2010     10 Comments »

Category: Recipe - Lunch

10 Comments on “Olive and rosemary focaccia”

1. Sarah, Maison Cupcake said at 10:16 am on January 13th, 2010:

Looks wonderful, I am yet to make a foccacia but I am hearing wonderful things about this Ottolenghi book.

2. Graphic Foodie said at 10:47 am on January 13th, 2010:

Looks so pretty. I particularly like it when people don’t scrip on the sea salt – yum!

3. Su-yin said at 9:57 pm on January 13th, 2010:

This looks great, will have to try it soon. Like Sarah, I’ve heard very good things about the Ottolenghi cookbook.

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said at 3:40 am on January 14th, 2010:

It looks marvellous! I love the little sprigs of rosemary :) Arrgh I know what you mean. This happened to me with a cake I made where I just skimmed the instructions.

Sometmes when I can’t wait, I put the cling wrap covered bowl with the dough in another bowl of wamr-hot water and that makes it rise quickly which is really helpful in Winter where there isn’t really a warm area for it to rise in :)

5. Jamie said at 7:59 am on January 14th, 2010:

Blasting with a hairdryer? I just started my day out laughing! Thanks for that! Great looking focaccia and yes, love fresh focaccia right out of the oven. Yum black kalamati olives – great salty tangy flavor for bread!
    Beautiful focaccia! What are we baking next?

6. Heavenly Housewife said at 8:14 am on January 14th, 2010:

Beautifully done, I adore that cookbook (and Ottolenghi). Have you tried their cheesecake? Best one I’ve had in the UK.

7. George@CulinaryTravels said at 8:49 am on January 14th, 2010:

I absolutely love baking foccacia and the Ottolenghi book but somehow have never got round to baking the Ottolenghi foccacia; I think I need to remedy that soon.

Your bread looks gorgeous.

8. Gourmet Chick said at 2:54 pm on January 15th, 2010:

Sarah – I am a big fan of the cookbook and use it lots

Graphic Foodie – I love sea salt as well and have to say one of the benefits of making your own foccacia is that you get to make it as salty as you want!

Su-yin – thanks its pretty cheap on Amazon so I would recommend getting it basically everything I have made from it has turned out a treat and some of the flavour combinations are really inspiring

Lorraine – thanks and thanks for the tip about the bowl of hot water – if it happens again I know what to do!

Jamie – The hairdryer was as creative as I get I must admit – sadly not a success

Heavenly Housewife – No I haven’t tried their cheesecake sounds like I should rectify that pronto

George – thanks and I agree there are some great recipes in there

9. Jeanne said at 2:55 pm on January 15th, 2010:

LOL – wish there were behind-the-scenes pics of the hairdryer experiment!! Very true though that quality can’t be rushed. This looks sublime – but then you can’t go wrong with the Ottolenghi Cookbook :)

10. Gourmet Chick said at 9:36 pm on January 21st, 2010:

Jeanne- I agree you really can’t go wrong with it