Happy New Year. We celebrated at our friend’s George and Luke’s house where we had a fabulous dinner and then braved the freezing cold and walked over to Primrose Hill where we watched the fireworks over London. As we were watching the fireworks it started snow – a very London New Year’s Eve.
My contribution to the dinner party was this roasted winter vegetable salad. It’s the perfect for when you need a salad with a little wow factor (like New Years Eve) as slow roasting the vegetables intensifies the flavours. This salad could easily be a meal in itself, but of course it was New Years Eve so there was much more to eat than salad. I hope your celebrations went well. Here’s to 2010.
1 aubergine (eggplant) cut into 1cm thick slices
1 sweet potato cut into 1cm thick slices
2 zucchini sliced thickly
2 red capsicums sliced thickly
2 yellow capsicums sliced thickly
1 red onion sliced thickly
2 cups couscous
2 tsp ground cumin
2 cups of boiling water
1/4 cup roughly chopped parsley
100g wild rocket
1 tsp seeded mustard
Slow roasting the vegetables
1. Preheat the oven to 200C.
2. Place the aubergine, zucchini, capsicum and onion in a roasting dish, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cook for 1 hour or until the vegetables are soft and starting to blacken around the edges.
3. Combine the couscous, 1tsp of finely grated rind from the lemon, the cumin, the butter and water in a heatproof bowl and mix well. Stand for about 5 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed then fluff with a fork.
4. In a small bowl mix the juice of the lemon with the seeded mustard and a glug of olive oil to make a dressing.
5. To serve, place the couscous in the base of a serving bowl, top with the roasted vegetables and parsley then rocket. Drizzle with dressing.
Serves six as a side dish or four as a light meal.
If you liked reading this you might be interested in this fantastic recipe for roasted sweet potato and chorizo salad or you might want to read about last new years eve which I spent at the Prince Alfred and Formosa Dining Room.Posted by: Cara on January 1st, 2010 7 Comments »
Category: Recipe - Lunch