Pork, sage and apple sausage rolls

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery right? That’s why I couldn’t resist making these pork, sage and apple sausage rolls that I spotted on LexEat a month or so ago. There is nothing better than a homemade sausage roll and they are always infinitely superior to the store bought versions. The recipe I usually make is fairly plain with just pork mince, onions, breadcrumbs and a little bit of seasoning in the filling. When I read Lex’s recipe with its additions of sage, beer and apple my mouth started to water and I couldn’t wait to try them. Of course I could not cope with leaving the recipe alone entirely so I kept in the diced onion from my recipe just to add a little more flavour. The result was truly delicious. Thanks Lex!
The finished product
Ingredients
500g puff pastry (the equivalent of 3 sheets or 2 rolls)
Plain flour for dusting
1 egg lightly beaten
Filling
500g pork mince
50g fresh breadcrumbs
1/2 onion finely diced
50ml real ale
6 fresh sage leaves finely chopped (plus around 30 smaller sage leaves for decorating)
1 apple, cored and grated
Salt and pepper to season

I made these at my Mum’s house which was such a treat as she had a wealth of beautiful fresh sage growing in the garden

1. Mix all the filling ingredients with your hands (with the exception of the sage leaves for decorating), season and leave to chill for 30 mins.

2. Roll out the pastry onto a lightly floured surface and cut into lengths which are about 10 cm x 30cm. If you are using sheets of pastry cut the pastry sheets in half.

3. Shape the sausage filling into long logs and place it in the middle of each piece of pastry.

4. Brush the edges of the pastry with the egg and then roll the pastry over to enclose the sausage mixture and press the edges to seal. Chill for 30 min.

5. Cut each log into sausage roll size, small for party size sausage rolls like the ones I made or you could make long sausage rolls for a lunch time snack.

6. Brush each sausage roll with the remaining egg and top with a sage leaf.
7. Preheat the oven to 220C and cook the sausage rolls for 15- 20 mins or until golden. Serve immediately or let them cool and pop in the freezer ready to be reheated for about 10 mins in the oven when you need them.

Makes around 30 small sausage rolls or 10 large sausage rolls.

Rolling out the sausage mixture on the pastry

If you are looking for good party food recipes you might be interested in this recipe for crab croquettes or this recipe for bruschetta.

Posted by: on February 5th, 2010     15 Comments »

Category: Recipe - Lunch

15 Comments on “Pork, sage and apple sausage rolls”

1. Victoria said at 9:57 am on February 5th, 2010:

Oh wow!! Yum! I wish I had a countertop that long!! :)

2. Graphic Foodie said at 11:24 am on February 5th, 2010:

Well I never thought a sausage roll could look so gorgeous!

3. Sarah, Maison Cupcake said at 3:42 pm on February 6th, 2010:

Cor, I love sage, these look so much better than your dried up old party sausage rolls. I might not fit out the door if I came somewhere serving these.

4. Nate @ House of Annie said at 3:24 pm on February 9th, 2010:

Absolutely beautiful rolls!

Since you are using homegrown sage, would you like to enter this post in our Grow Your Own roundup this month? Full Details at

5. Gourmet Chick said at 4:24 am on February 11th, 2010:

Victoria – So do I – that countertop is my Mum’s!

Graphic Foodie – From you I take that as a very high compliment as I know you are into all things aesthetic

Sarah – They did go quickly. I love sage as well.

Nate – Thanks for letting me know

6. Jeanne @ Cooksister! said at 12:21 pm on February 12th, 2010:

You have a lot of prep space in your kitchen!! These look heavenly – love the sage leaf on top of each.

7. Gourmet Chick said at 10:09 pm on February 12th, 2010:

Jeanne – It is my mum’s kitchen – I wish it was mine!

8. Lizzie said at 11:38 pm on February 14th, 2010:

Such pretty sossidge rolls! They look delicious.

9. Miki Reira and Ale SketchT said at 12:52 pm on February 19th, 2010:

It seems delicious!

10. Robyn Clarke said at 8:10 pm on March 7th, 2011:

Made these today, they were delicious!

11. Gourmet Chick said at 10:03 pm on March 8th, 2011:

Robyn – Good to hear you enjoyed them – I make them whenever I have a party as they are always a crowd pleaser.

12. Anonymous said at 12:25 pm on January 31st, 2012:

Just wondering if there is an alternative herb to sage?

13. Gourmet Chick said at 11:43 am on February 1st, 2012:

Anon – Try marjoram if you can get your hands on it.

14. Mike Hills said at 10:07 pm on January 31st, 2014:

I made these recently and my wife (who does not normally go near things like this) and daughters demolished them before they were cold. Very very nice – will be making them again soon for my niece’s 21st

15. Cara said at 10:39 am on February 2nd, 2014:

So glad to hear that Mike. They’re good as an alternative to the usual sausage rolls I think.