My belief that Valentines day is completely over rated has led me to previously recommend going out for brunch instead of dinner. Restaurants are over priced, over booked and full of couples awkwardly making conversation over wilting hot house roses. Heals Farm has come up with a clever solution of a box of goodies to make a Valentines day meal at home. The box comes with two sirloin steaks, a bottle of red wine, a mocha heaven dessert and even a little container of rose petals (£46 including delivery).
Wrap your mouth around this little beauty
I got sent a box to try out and after ditching the rose petals I decided to use the sirloin to make the ultimate steak sandwich. I based my sandwich on the meaty and succulent version served at The Eagle gastro pub in Farringdon. The Eagle’s steak sandwich has been a menu staple for years thanks to its classic combination of top quality steak, sweet slow cooked onions and a crunchy roll. It’s easy enough to replicate at home and in my books a steak sandwich each and a bottle of red is infinitely more romantic than the conventional restaurant option on Valentines Day.
2 sirloin steaks
2 ciabatta rolls
2 tbs olive oil
2 Cos lettuce leaves
1 garlic clove
1 tb parsley
1 tsp dried oregano
4 tb red wine
3 tb olive oil
Cooking the steaks
1. Finely slice the onion and crush the garlic then mix all the ingredients together for the marinade. Rub over the steaks and leave to marinade for a few hours.
2. Remove steaks from the marinade and then strain the marinade and set aside.
3. Heat the oven to 180C and warm the ciabatta rolls in it.
4. Heat a grill pan or BBQ until it is very hot and then add the steaks. Cook the steaks for two to three minutes on each side for rare or four minutes for medium rare.
5. Remove the steaks from the grill pan or BBQ and cover in foil to keep them warm while they rest.
6. Add the dry ingredients from the marinade to a frying pan and cook over a low heat until the onions start to caramalise. Then add the strained marinade liquid to the frying pan and let it bubble and reduce a little.
7. Cut the rolls in half and arrange the Cos lettuce and then steaks on the rolls. Pour the marinade over the steak and then pop the top on the sandwich.
Inside the sandwich
Gourmet Chick was sent a Heals Farm Valentines day box to review.