How to make squashed peach and prosciutto salad

In markets and shops this summer I have been coming across squashed peaches.  Sometimes they are called donut peaches, flat peaches, paraguayos or saturn peaches but I think squashed peach describes them pretty well. The peaches are slightly sweeter than your regular peach and have an almost nutty flavour.  I bought a pile of them at the Portobello market and used them to make a simple summery salad with prosciutto.  Char grilling the peaches is not essential but it does help intensify the flavour.  Perfect for long summer nights and days where you need your sunglasses as well as an umbrella.

Squashed peaches

Ingredients
4 squashed peaches
6 slices of prosciutto
250g rocket
3 tbsp of maple syrup
3 tbsp of balsamic vinegar

Chargrilling the peaches

1.  Cut the peaches in half and stone them before cutting each half into three wedges.

2.  Toss the peaches in oil, salt and pepper then char grill them and set aside to cool slightly.

3.  Tear the prosciutto into ribbons and toss with the rocket and peaches.

4.  Mix the maple syrup and balsamic vinegar together and drizzle over the salad.

Serves 8 as a side dish.

The finished salad

Thanks to SoFeminine.co.uk who provided the ingredients for this dish which will be entered in their competition.

If you liked reading this you might be interested in these recipes for capital salad and roast sweet potato and chorizo salad

Posted by: on July 1st, 2011     8 Comments »

Category: Recipe - Lunch

8 Comments on “How to make squashed peach and prosciutto salad”

1. Kavey said at 8:14 am on July 1st, 2011:

I love dougnut peaches! And this year seems to be a bumper year for them. For the last few years, they’ve been available in my local shops for only a couple of weeks, intermittently, and not easily tracked down.
    This year, they are everywhere in abundance and cheap too.
    Happy Kavey!
    Your salad looks proper tasty!

2. fashionfoiegras said at 8:41 am on July 1st, 2011:

This looks absolutely amazing! Thanks gfor giving me a menu for a hot saturday in London!

3. thelittleloaf said at 8:42 am on July 1st, 2011:

I make something very similar with torn mozzarella and without grilling the peaches but this looks like a delicious alternative. Great use of those gorgeous squashed peaches too, yum.

4. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella said at 3:31 am on July 4th, 2011:

Ooh I love donut peaches too. They’re so cute and as you say, squashed looking (but in a good way ;) )

5. purelyfood said at 11:25 am on July 4th, 2011:

You inspired me to prepare something similar with the delicious peaches I bought yesterday. I have blogged it and given you credit of course.

6. Gourmet Chick said at 9:42 pm on July 6th, 2011:

Kavey – Same here – I had seen them around before but this was the first time in abundance

Fashion Foie Gras – Hope it goes well for you

The Little Loaf – Ooh mozzarella sounds brilliant

Lorraine – Yes so, so cute

Purely Food – Great stuff – I love the addition of fetta in your version. Looks delicious!

7. Jeanne said at 2:04 pm on July 7th, 2011:

I was at Portobello last Sat in fact – and yes there do seem to be a ton of these about! I have yet to try them (we bought and gobbled the apricot-sized cherries instead!) but I do love the flavours in this salad. Just put it on my “to make” list :)

8. Eshe said at 8:25 am on July 21st, 2011:

Hi,

I hope you don’t mind me posting this, but I saw your ‘squashed peach and prosciutto salad’ recipe and it looks like you have the Italian cooking style down to a T!

This recipe is exactly the type of entry we’re looking for on the To-Tuscany Foodie Blogger competition.

There’s a chance to win a week in a Tuscany Villa and £150 towards flights if you have the time to enter. Plus there’s also a runners up prize draw for everyone who enters!

Please feel free to email me via: competition@to-tuscany.com for more information.

I hope you can enter! :-)

Best of luck,