Melbourne’s best hot cross buns

It was a tough job but someone had to do it.  Someone had to eat their way through mountains of hot cross buns to find out who makes Melbourne’s best hot cross buns for Broadsheet.  Each hot cross bun tested was sampled as a plain bun and then again toasted with butter.  The best hot cross buns had a great taste under both testing conditions. I called in fellow hot cross bun aficiondos to second guess my decisions.  Then I analysed and considered and fretted at night about pressing issues such as whether orange peel has a legitimate place in a hot cross bun  and what exactly the perfect density of a hot cross bun is before making my decision.

Some of the haul of hot cross buns for testing

The rankings are:

1.  Baker D Chirico
2.  Philippa’s
3.  Dench
4.  Babka
5.  Brasserie Bread
6.  La Madre

You will have to skip on over to Broadsheet to find out all the details.  Roll on Easter!

Posted by: on March 29th, 2012     6 Comments »

Category: Gourmet Shopping

6 Comments on “Melbourne’s best hot cross buns”

1. Anonymous said at 1:40 am on March 30th, 2012:

Why don’t we get to eat hot cross buns all year around?

2. Katy Salter @ Pinch of Salt said at 11:53 am on March 30th, 2012:

I agree with anonymous – hcbs all year round! They need to be sticky and squidgy enough to be eaten cold and plain, but robust enough to stand up to a good toasting. What a feature gig!

3. msihua said at 11:01 pm on March 31st, 2012:

Oh my… so much bread! Lol… well done though :)

4. cara waters said at 7:05 am on April 1st, 2012:

Anon – I am in complete agreement

Katy Salter – It was a tough one.

MsIHua – There is no such thing as too much bread I am sure

5. Anonymous said at 11:40 am on April 3rd, 2012:

I’m pretty sure the Babka hot cross bun is just their regular shoo fly bun with cross added. Does that count as hot cross buns all year round?

6. cara waters said at 5:38 am on April 9th, 2012:

Anon – Good tip – I will turn to Babka to get my HCB fix out of season!