The Prince

Mr MTV and I just celebrated our second wedding anniversary.  We marked our first wedding anniversary in Brazil but this year we were not quite so exotic and decided to stick closer to home in Melbourne.  While overseas jet setting was off our list we splashed out by staying a night at the same hotel we stayed at on our wedding night, The Prince.
Smoked salmon and avocado bruschetta.
I think I’ve just about done everything you can at The Prince from gigs in the band room, massages at the spa, dinner at Circa and so actually staying here is the next logical step really.  The iconic Melbourne hotel was just as sleek and stylish as I remembered it.  The place is all low lighting with minimalist, modern rooms which are decorated in chocolate box tones.  The bathroom to our room was stocked with Aurora bathroom products which I love and reminded me of the brilliant Aurora spa at the hotel.
Buttermilk pancakes
A stay at the Prince is quite good value as it includes wifi, parking and breakfast.  The breakfast menu includes a mixture of simple dishes like granola and bacon and egg sandwiches alongside some more interesting fare.  It’s worth a visit even if you are not staying at The Prince.  Buttermilk pancakes ($14) were light and fluffy and I appreciated that they were not served with the usual blueberries or strawberries and instead were adorned with lemon curd and an exorbitant amount of mascarpone. Better still was the smoked salmon and avocado bruschetta ($18) which was served on a slab of chargrilled bread topped with eggy gribiche.
Our room at The Prince
The downside to our stay was service which was completely lacking at check in when the reception desk was completely deserted for at least 10 minutes and we ended up having to track down a staff member to serve us.  Once we checked in we were told that the pool was closed for a private function and so we would be unable to use it for our entire stay.  These things happen, but the receptionist was not at all apologetic and it would have been good to be warned of this before checking in.
I still love The Prince and it holds special memories for me but service needs to be improved to make it a truly excellent boutique hotel.
View Gourmet Chick Melbourne in a larger map

Details: The Prince, 2 Acland Street  St Kilda 3182 Ph (03 9536 1111)
Damage: Pricey.  Our room cost $175 a night.

Circa, the Prince on Urbanspoon

Posted by: on March 12th, 2012     8 Comments »

Category: Brunch, Travel - Australia

8 Comments on “The Prince”

1. tori said at 9:52 am on March 12th, 2012:

Congratulations! (A great time of year to have got married it seems….)

2. April said at 10:07 am on March 12th, 2012:

Happy anniversary! It was sweet that you went back to the same hotel you stayed in on your wedding night. Too bad the service wasn’t up to scratch :( Hope you had a great anniversary night anyway.

That salmon looks seriously GOOD!

3. Katy Salter @ Pinch of Salt said at 1:25 pm on March 12th, 2012:

Looks lovely – shame about the iffy service. Happy anniversary!

4. Siany said at 11:01 pm on March 12th, 2012:

You always do such lovely anniversary things – I remember running into you last year on your way to The Fat Duck! Congratulations. xx

5. Sofia Levin said at 1:27 am on March 13th, 2012:

Happy anniversary! It would seem that good food is the secret to a happy marriage! Great for me and my future husband!

6. Greedy Diva said at 11:01 am on March 13th, 2012:

Happy Anniversary! We stayed at The Prince on our wedding night too – I always love it there. I couldn’t believe they had ditched the Aesop bathroom products at first, but I loved the lovely rose smelling products from Aurora even more. That pools is ALWAYS closed for weddings – I’ve never been able to use it!

7. Jeanne said at 5:40 pm on March 13th, 2012:

Hey – happy anniversary, gorgeous! And I do love the idea of pancakes with extravagant amounts of mascarpone!! But why is it more often than not the service that lets a place down??? So disappointing.

8. Gourmet Chick said at 11:47 pm on March 13th, 2012:

Tori – I hear all the best people get married at this time of year!

April – Yes it was nice for sentimental reasons, and last time we stayed the service was great so maybe just a one off.

Katy – Thanks Katy.

Siany – Yes it has been hard to top Brazil and the Fat Duck I must admit. I think we went a bit overboard celebrating one year!

Sofia – Well we are not experts at only two years married but it seems to be working so far

Greedy Diva – Thanks. Yes I was sad about Aesop as well but like you have come around to Aurora. We just wanted the pool this time particularly as it was a really hot day – would have been good.

Jeanne – Thanks Jeanne. Yes extravagant amounts of mascarpone are always good in my books!