How to make Anzac biscuits

With Anzac day this week I thought it was high time to make a batch of Anzac biscuits.  For my overseas readers, Anzac stands for the Australia and New Zealand Army Corps and Anzac day is a remembrance day for the sacrifices Australia’s armed forces have made.  Anzac biscuits were sent to Australian troops in the First World War and the traditional recipe tastes just as good today.
A stack of Anzac biscuits ready to take to the footy

This is a fool proof recipe, just make sure that you leave enough space between the biscuits on the baking tray so they can spread (they will!).  It’s also important to leave the biscuits on the trays until completely cooled once you take them out of the oven otherwise your Anzac biscuits may fall apart.  I will be taking a few along with me to the football for Anzac day.

Pouring the butter and Golden syrup mixture into the dry mixture

Ingredients

1 ½ cups rolled oats
½ cup caster sugar
½ cup dessicated coconut
¼ cup self raising flour
150g unsalted butter
2 tsps golden syrup
½ tsp bicarbonate soda
2 tbsps boiling water

Biscuits ready to go in the oven – lots of space between them

1.  Preheat oven to 150c.

2. Place the oats, sugar, coconut and bowl in a large bowl and stir to combine.

3.  In a small saucepan place the golden syrup and butter and stir over a low heat until the butter has fully melted.

4.  Pour the syrup and butter mixture into the dry ingredients and mix.

5.  Use the same saucepan to mix together the bicarbonate of soda and boiling water so that it fizzes and then add it to the rest of the mixture.

6.  Spoon the mixture onto a baking tray lined with non-stick baking paper.  Make sure to leave space for the biscuits to spread.

7.  Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown and leave the biscuits on the trays until cooled.

The finished biscuits

Makes 12-16 biscuits.

Posted by: on April 22nd, 2012     7 Comments »

Category: Recipe - Sweet Treat

7 Comments on “How to make Anzac biscuits”

1. Niamh said at 11:09 pm on April 22nd, 2012:

Looking good! Will try :)

2. Sarah, Maison Cupcake said at 10:16 am on April 23rd, 2012:

I didn’t know that was what ANZAC meant although I’m sure I made something very similar to these as a child. Definitely time to try them again!

3. Katy Salter @ Pinch of Salt said at 11:08 am on April 23rd, 2012:

I love Anzac biscuits – had a delicious one at Birdhouse in Battersea yesterday (like friands, they are getting more and more popular here – another thing we have to thank you Aussies for!)

4. texasonthames.com said at 11:58 am on April 23rd, 2012:

Had an Anzac biscuit for the first time a few weeks ago! Really love them, but had no idea what Anzac meant. Thanks for sharing. :)

5. tori said at 1:57 pm on April 23rd, 2012:

Thank you for reminding me! I’m also partial to smashing them up and putting them over savoury dishes- a little like amaretti cookies over pumpkin pastas. Hope the football is grand.

6. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said at 9:20 pm on April 23rd, 2012:

Yuuuum! I LOVE them!!!

7. cara waters said at 1:06 am on April 25th, 2012:

Niamh – I think you would like Anzac biscuts

Sarah – Glad I have solved the mystery for you. They are really easy so exactly the sort of thing you might have made as a child.

Katy – Oh how funny that you can get them in London – love it