Afternoon tea at The Langham

After a disastorous afternoon tea at The Sofitel I was a bit worried about what would be on offer at The Langham.  I had booked in with my Mum and sister for afternoon tea there for Mothers’ Day.  I needn’t have worried at all, afternoon tea at the Langham was everything you could want from an afternoon tea plus a little bit more.
The tiered cake stand for afternoon tea at The Langham
The setting was certainly swanky with the Aria room where afternoon tea is served at the top of the hotel’s marble stair cases, past the fountains and ceilings dripping with chandeliers.  On our table was a present for Mum, a tin of Mor toiletries, as part of the Mothers’ Day package.

Tea from a silver pot – just the way I like it
The Langham’s tea list includes all the standard teas alongside some more exotic blends created especially for the hotel.  It is served in silver teapots complete with covers to protect against burnt fingers and refills are constant.

Lemon tarts from the dessert buffet
The main part of afternoon tea is served from a tiered cake stand on the table.  The stand included savoury levels of mini quiches sweet from their filling of caramalised onion and surrounded by crumbly, soft pastry along with freshly made cucumber and egg finger sandwiches.  Most importantly the scones were a triumph, fresh from the oven with a choice of fruit scones or plain.  They were served as they should be with clotted cream and sharp, good quality jam.
More buffet goodies

Desserts were available from a buffet style table which included perfectly formed tiny lemon tarts and warm chocolate pudding dripping with sauce.  There was even a chocolate fountain.  Each pastry confection we tried was excellent with the only exception being the chocolate eclairs which were on the hard side.

The chocolate fountain
I think I loved the afternoon even more than Mum did and it felt very decadent to be cosseted away in The Langham with another round of scones or plate of pastries always available.  The only drawback was the price which was pretty steep in what could only be described as a Mother’s Day sting.
View Gourmet Chick Melbourne in a larger map

Details: Aria, The Langham Hotel, 1 Southbank Blvd, Southbank (Ph 1800 641 107)
Damage: Budget Breaking.  $85 for Mothers’ Day.  Normally afternoon tea is $45.  Look out for the Burch and Purchese afternoon teas which are hosted at the Langham on selected dates.

Aria Bar & Lounge on Urbanspoon

Posted by: on May 17th, 2012     13 Comments »

Category: Afternoon Tea, Southbank

13 Comments on “Afternoon tea at The Langham”

1. The Langham, Melbourne said at 12:37 am on May 18th, 2012:

Hi Cara,
    We’re glad that you could make it to our hotel and delighted you were able to enjoy our special Mother’s Day Chocolate Bar Afternoon Tea in ARIA Bar & Lounge. It’s wonderful to read your feedback on the scones. It’s almost a crime not to have good quality cream and jam with them. Thank you for reviewing our afternoon tea and we will pass all your feedback to our Food and Beverage team.

Perhaps for next time, you would enjoy dining at our Melba Restaurant?

2. love2dine said at 3:48 pm on May 18th, 2012:

i would love to be there.. i love desserts.

3. HK Epicurus said at 6:00 pm on May 18th, 2012:

One of the things I always notice about Afternoon Teas in Melbourne, is probably that many pastries look a little too uneven and crooked, but when you put them into the mouth they taste well enough.

Whereas in Hong Kong where the Arvo Tea culture is very strong if not even more important than in the UK itself, since people in snobbish lands HK/UK always relate Afternoon Tea to living a noble high life, the items here might look all evenly presented but the taste might not necessarily follow.

This question has perplexed me for a while indeed… I am actually more biased towards even pastries and presentation, not that they have really got the basic taste right as yet… But hope they do 1 day! :S

4. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said at 12:42 am on May 19th, 2012:

I would have gone straight to that fountain, yuuuuum!!!

5. Sarah, Maison Cupcake said at 8:16 am on May 19th, 2012:

Glad to hear this was more of a success – I love those chirpy lemon tarts!

6. MoMo and Coco Dessert Correspondents said at 9:43 am on May 19th, 2012:

This looks like the standard afternoon tea weekend buffet at the Langham, yes? It’s pretty good (we have been, pre-blog days), however nothing on offer in Melbourne is quite like that in London…or HK/Shanghai. We do wish B&P had decided to hold their special Langham series during the weekend, would have been much more convenient for working people. Oh well.

7. msihua said at 4:55 am on May 20th, 2012:

So happy with this post to know that there are more places with Afternoon teas!

8. Gourmet Getaways said at 11:36 am on May 20th, 2012:

Oh it all does look delicious!!

I love the little tea cups, so cute and the lemon tarts :0 my mouth is watering.

9. Yasmeen said at 12:37 pm on May 20th, 2012:

What a sucker I am for afternoon tea. I imagine the Langham’s would have been divine, but glad to gather some hard evidence from your photos. Have you had high tea at the Windsor? I took my mom there when she was in town earlier this year. Really pleasant as well.

10. cara waters said at 1:38 pm on May 20th, 2012:

The Langham – Thanks for reading and glad you are happy with the feedback. My mum loves the Melba as well so I am sure I will be there at some stage.

Love 2 dine – If you love desserts you would love this.

HK Epicurius – Sadly I didn’t have afternoon tea when I was in Hong Kong so I can’t compare Melbourne to there, but I can say that the Langham compared pretty favourably with London high tea. Although my all time favourite is the Lanesborough in London complete with tea sommelier

Andi – I know – so good

Sarah – They were delicious

Momo and Coco – Yes it would have been great if B&P did their afternoon tea on the weekends – sadly we are not all ladies (or gentlemen) of leisure!

Ms I Hua – the more the merrier I say

Gourmet Getaways – Yes so adorable

Yasmeen – The Windsor is on my wish list – I have heard afternoon tea is great there.

11. Ashley said at 4:27 am on May 23rd, 2012:

Aah, it’s so nice to hear of a good aftenoon tea in Melbourne. There’s not enough! Drooling over the gorgeous buffet offerings!

12. Charu said at 3:29 pm on May 23rd, 2012:

This looks amazing! I will totally need to check it out. Have you been to NYC for tea at Lady Mendl’s –will have to take you out on that if you’re in town.

13. Jeanne said at 2:41 pm on May 29th, 2012:

OMG look at those adorable lemon tarts!! I am a huge fan of afternoon tea – a good one is a thing of great beauty!