|Fish pie fresh from the oven|
2 leeks, halved and finely sliced
2 carrots, chopped
2 sticks celery, chopped
2 knobs of butter
2 bay leaves
3 large potatoes, peeled and quartered
3 tsp seeded mustard
1 cup grated cheddar
Juice and grated zest of 1 lemon
1.5kg mixed fish fillets, scaled, pin boned and cut into large chunks. I used salmon and rockling, for international readers cod would be a good substitute for rockling.
1 handful of parsley leaves chopped
|Prepping the leeks and carrots|
1. Preheat the oven to 180C.
2. Heat the oil in a large pan over a low heat then fry the leeks, carrots, celery and a knob of butter. Season and add the bay leaves. Cover and cook for 20 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
3. Meanwhile boil the potatoes until tender. Drain then add a drizzle of olive oil, the remaining knob of butter and mash lightly with a potato masher. Season to taste.
|Leek and carrot mixture ready to go on top of the fish|
3. Add the cream and mustard to the leek mixture and simmer for a few seconds then turn off the heat and add half the cheese. Season then add the lemon juice and zest and mix.
4. Remove the bay leaves, then pour the leek mixture into an ovenproof dish. Add the chunks of fish and parsley making sure they are coated in the sauce then sprinkle over the remaining cheese.
5. Dot the potato over the top and cook for 50 minutes or until golden and crisp on top.
|Fish pie ready to be topped with mashed potato and popped in the oven|
Category: Recipe - Dinner