How to make Beef Wellington

I’m currently swept up in Olympic fever so a delivery of Tasmanian beef fillet from Cape Grim Beef made me think instantly of Beef Wellington.  It’s a classic British dish after all and at the moment I am feeling inspired by all things British as I spend my early mornings and evenings glued to the television.

Beef Wellington

Ingredients
1.5kg of the best quality beef fillet you can find.  I got sent this amazing piece of meat from Cape Grim Beef to try. Check out the marbling on it.
Salt and pepper
80ml olive oil
100g butter
1 onion, peeled and finely diced
500g sliced fresh mushrooms
1 tsp thyme leaves
10 slices of prosciutto
500g puff pastry
1 egg yolk, beaten

Searing the beef

1.  Dry the beef fillet with paper towel then season with salt and pepper.  Heat half the oil and a tablespoon of the butter in a large frying pan over high heat.  Add the beef and seal on all sides.  Remove to a plate to cool.

2. Heat the remaining oil and butter in the frying pan over medium heat. Fry onion and mushrooms for about five minutes or until all the liquid has evaporated.  Remove from heat, add thyme leaves and let cool.

3.  Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on a work surface and arrange the prosciutto in a row lengthways so each piece overlaps slightly.  spread the mushroom mixture over the prosciutto and lay the beef on top of the mushrooms.  Wrap the prosciutto and mushrooms around the beef, wrapping it up in plastic and chill in the fridge for one hour to firm.

Prosciutto and mushroom mixture

4.  Preheat the oven to 220 degrees.

5. Roll out the puff pastry dough, and place beef in the centre, fold up and seal all the edges.  Brush with the egg yolk.

6. Roast beef for 10 minutes so the pastry goes golden, then reduce heat to 150 C for 30 more minutes which should give you medium rare beef. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes and keep warm before serving.

The Beef Wellington parcel out of the oven – it looks like a present

Serves 8 – 10.

Posted by: on August 9th, 2012     8 Comments »

Category: Recipe - Dinner

8 Comments on “How to make Beef Wellington”

1. Andi of My Beautiful Adventures said at 10:12 pm on August 9th, 2012:

This is my hubby’s fave!

2. Catherine. x said at 4:04 am on August 10th, 2012:

Yum! I’m planning to do a Beef Wellington in the next few weeks too!

3. Kavey said at 6:27 am on August 10th, 2012:

Looks beautiful and like the ham in place of crepe, very nice.

4. Caviar_girl said at 6:40 am on August 10th, 2012:

I still havent tried a beef wellington and i have been in london for 4 years! #fail
    really need to get on to that..
    would you recommend anywhere? I want the first experience to be great (no pressure)

5. Not Quite Nigella said at 7:21 am on August 10th, 2012:

I love beef wellington! Anything with pastry really :P

6. Blonde said at 11:34 am on August 10th, 2012:

Even to a non-meat eater, that looks alarmingly tempting. Pa Blonde does a cracking salmon Wellington. Really lovely dish.

7. Katy Salter @ Pinch of Salt said at 12:33 pm on August 10th, 2012:

Oh I love beef Wellington – am pleased to report it’s actually, finally, too hot to cook and eat it here in the UK right now. Soon, though…

8. cara waters said at 8:19 am on August 13th, 2012:

Andi – My hubby loved it as well

Catherine – hope it goes well

Kavey – Yes I haven’t made it with a crepe but might give that a go as well

Caviar Girl – I have to say I never actually ate it at a restaurant – I reckon Rules would do it.

Not Quite Nigella – Everything is better with pastry and pancetta

Blonde – Salmon Wellington sounds lovely actually might have to give that a go

Katy Salter – finally summer has arrived – good to hear!