How to make caramelised apple cake

I’m always on the lookout for an easy dessert as I have a habit of cooking elaborate dinner parties and then I need something quick and fail safe to fall back on at the end of the meal.  Well this dessert fits the bill, it’s an apple cake that is lovely served warm out of the oven with ice-cream melting on the side or you can serve it up cold if you want to get ahead.
Apple cake ready to go

When you’re making this cake just make sure to give the apples enough time to really become soft and caramelise to a sticky brown which will give the cake it’s lovely golden hue.

Ingredients
4 apples, cored, peeled and sliced
150g butter
25g brown sugar
125g golden caster sugar
2 eggs
125g self raising flour
1tsp ground cinnamon

Caramelising the apples

1.   Heat the oven to 180c.  Heat the apples in a frying pan with 25g of butter and the brown sugar and cook for about 5 minutes or until tender and caramelised.  Stir occasionally.

2.  Butter and line a round cake tin and arrange the apples in the.  Beat the remaining butter and sugar together until fluffy.  Gradually beat in the eggs then sift in the flour and cinnamon.  Carefully pour into the cake tin over the top of the apples.

3.  Level the surface and bake for 35 minutes or until firm and springy to touch.

4.  Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes and then serve warm or cold.

Slice of cake?

Serves eight.

Posted by: on September 11th, 2012     9 Comments »

Category: Recipe - Sweet Treat

9 Comments on “How to make caramelised apple cake”

1. Sophie said at 1:48 am on September 12th, 2012:

One slice for me please. This looks delicious. Can I request a berry recipe next? Spring has me craving them!

2. Kari said at 11:56 am on September 12th, 2012:

Looks wonderful :) I love apple in baked goods and desserts so this sounds like a dessert for me.

3. Katy Salter @ Pinch of Salt said at 3:22 pm on September 12th, 2012:

A cross between tarte tatin and apple cake? I like!

4. tori said at 4:12 pm on September 12th, 2012:

Delicious. Am totally sold.

5. Senka I said at 10:19 am on September 13th, 2012:

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6. cara waters said at 12:56 pm on September 13th, 2012:

Sophie – Good idea – I have a bit of a berry craving as well and they are cheap at the moment – all the more reason to eat them.

Kari – So do I, as you may be able to tell by the amount of apple recipes on this blog!

Katy – That’s a great way to describe it actually

Tori – I hope you try it – it’s good I promise.

Senka – Sorry I don’t publish self promotion in the comments.

7. Kelly at Flavours of Africa said at 2:21 pm on September 21st, 2012:

Looks fantastic, and fairly easy to make? I think with ice cream it would taste lovely!

8. Iron Chef Shellie said at 7:49 am on September 23rd, 2012:

LOVE anything with apple…. will def have to try this :)

9. Gourmet Chick » Blog Archive » Recipes said at 8:50 pm on July 5th, 2013: