|Picnic in botanic gardens|
1 sheet of puff pastry
1 egg, beaten
4 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp brown sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 x 250g punnet of cherry tomatoes, see if you can get some heirloom ones – the taste will be better and the colours look great.
Salt and pepper
|Cooking the pastry – it puffs up like a pillow|
1. Preheat oven to 180c and place pastry sheet on a baking paper lined tray. Brush with the egg and then bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.
2. Meanwhile heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large frypan on the lowest heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt and cook very slowly for 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. When the onions are soft and have started to turn a golden colour add sugar and balsamic to start the caramelisation process. Cook onion over low heat for a further 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until sticky and caramelised.
4. Remove the puff pastry from the oven and use a tea towel to press down in the middle, then spread with the caramelised onion.
5. Heat the remainder of the olive oil in a large frypan on a medium heat and cook the tomatoes, tossing occasionally until their skins blister.
6. Top the tart with the tomatoes and some salt and pepper to season.
|The tart with cherry tomatoes and caramelised onion|
Serves two. How romantic.
Category: Recipe - Lunch