Pavlova is such a classic Aussie dish but baking it in individual serves makes things a little bit different. The addition of white chocolate gives some extra richness and you can really top it with whatever fruit you like. Berries are traditional but I also love slices of mango and some passionfruit pulp for a tropical feel. What’s more if you’ve got an electric mixer like my much loved Kitchenaid then the washing up is fairly minimal. MTV approved.
|Whisking the egg whites|
3 egg whites
3/4 cup of caster sugar
1 vanilla pod
3 tsp cornflour
100g white chocolate, chopped
300ml double cream
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 punnet of strawberries and one of raspberries
|Whisking the egg whites with the cornflour|
1. Preheat oven to 140c and rub the bowl and whisk of your electric mixer with the cut lemon.
2. Whisk the egg whites until stiff peaks form and then add the sugar until glossy. Add cornflour and the seeds from the vanilla bean and whisk until combined then fold through the chopped white chocolate.
3. Spoon 8 small mounds of the mixture onto a tray lined with baking paper and shape them into circles.
4. Bake for 50 mins and then turn the oven off and leave the oven door slightly ajar until the meringue bases have completely cooled.
5. Whisk the double cream with the icing sugar until it thickens.
6. Cut the stalks off the berries and cut the strawberries in half and then top the mini pavlovas with the whipped cream.
|The finished mini meringues
The gorgeous plate is a vintage one I got at the Portobello road market in London