I’m getting a vegie box delivered at the moment (I’m using Aussie Farmers Direct) hoping it will make me eat more of the good stuff and more seasonally. With only me and Meat-and-Three-Veg to feed it takes a bit of creativity to get through all the produce and so a big bag of carrots gave me a hankering to make soup. I decided to pimp up your standard carrot soup with the addition of some quinoa to make it a bit more filling after reading this Gourmet Traveller recipe.
The soup also includes the crucial addition of goats cheese which gives the soup a creamy texture. I use the Meredith marinated goats cheese but any creamy soft goats cheese would work well.
Let me know what you think if you give it a try – it’s the perfect soup for our current sunny wintery days. Just the deep orange colour is bound to make you smile.
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 800g carrots, coarsely grated
- 1 tbs ground cumin
- 2 tbs paprika
- 2 lemons, rind grated and juiced
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 100 gm quinoa
- 100gm goats cheese, crumbled
- 1/3 cup coarsley chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1. Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add onion and garlic and stir until tender for 5 mins. Add carrot, spices and lemon rind and stir occasionally until carrot softens for 4 - 5 mins.
- 2. Add stock and 300ml boiling water, season with salt and pepper and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 mins.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a separate saucepan cook the quinoa by adding 750ml of boiling water then covering and cooking on a low simmer for 15 mins. Drain and set aside.
- 4. Remove soup from heat and allow to cook slightly before adding lemon juice and half the goats cheese and blending.
- 5. Top with quinoa, scatter with parsley and remaining goats cheese and serve.