As a lover of internet shopping (who doesn’t enjoy getting exciting parcels in the post) I was happy to hear of Alexander & James, a new online destination for luxury spirits. They’ve got all my favourites – gin, whisky, vodka and rum and all the extras that make a lovely ritual out of an evening tipple – like the beautifully named “nosing glasses”.
You can create bespoke gift sets for those hard to buy for people (my Dad comes to mind – he’d love a bottle of the Bushmills whisky. Plus the Alexander & James site has lots of tips for boozing. I like the cocktail recipes and interviews with people like female master whisky blender Maureen Robinson.
Alexander & James shared their excellent gimlet recipe with me. It’s a quick cocktail with a refreshing hint of basil, great for entertaining friends on balmy nights. Get mixing!
- 265 ml Cîroc vodka
- 90 ml freshly pressed lime juice
- 90 ml sugar syrup
- 12 basil leaves
- A dozen ice cubes to taste
- Glass pitcher
- Combine the vodka, sugar syrup, lime juice and six basil leaves in a pitcher no more than one hour before guests arrive.
- Allow these mixed ingredients to chill in the refrigerator.
- Just before serving, add ice cubes to the pitcher and stir.
- Strain into Alexander & James tumblers and garnish with a basil sprig.