Post in partnership with Schwartz
One of my favourite Greek dishes is moussaka. It’s gutsy and filling with the great flavour combination of lamb and aubergines (or eggplants). This lamb moussaka recipe from Schwartz is made with lamb mince flavoured delicately with red wine, marjoram, oregano and garlic before layering with sliced aubergines, topping with thick cheese sauce and baking in the oven. Serve it with a green salad. Or even a Greek one!
- 2 small aubergines, sliced
- 4 tbs oil
- 450g (1lb) minced lamb
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tbs tomato purée
- 75ml (3fl oz) red wine
- 1 tsp Schwartz Marjoram
- ½ tsp Schwartz Oregano
- ¼ tsp Schwartz Garlic Granules
- 450ml (¾ pint) cheese sauce
- 50g (2oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1. Pre-heat the oven to 180°C, 350°F, Gas Mark 4.
- 2. Sprinkle the aubergines with salt, cover and leave for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, fry the lamb and onion until browned. Drain excess liquid. Stir in the tomato purée, red wine, Marjoram, Oregano and Garlic Granules and simmer for 5 minutes.
- 3. Rinse and pat dry the aubergines. Heat the oil in a large frying pan and brown the aubergines in batches.
- 4. Layer the lamb mince mixture and aubergines alternately in an ovenproof dish. Pour over the cheese sauce and sprinkle with the grated cheese.
- 5. Bake for 45 minutes until golden brown.
Established in 1889, Schwartz is a trusted brand of spices, herbs and flavourings. These days, their range of quality products also extends to gravies, sauces, and more. Visit their website at www.schwartz.co.uk to see their wide variety of recipe suggestions and meal ideas, and share your own tips by joining the Schwartz Cooking Club.