I’ve just reluctantly returned from a few weeks spent beach side at Lorne. It’s only been a few hours but I’m already nostalgic for salty skin, sandy hair and nights spent on the deck having drinks and a BBQ.
In perfect timing for Summer BBQs this month’s Gourmet Traveller has a potato salad special. I’m a big believer that everyone should have a go to potato salad recipe and I thought I had mine nailed. But after working my way through some of the magazine’s recipes I’ve got a new favourite – this potato salad with an egg and bacon vinigarette. Of course I’ve made a few changes to make it simpler and easier to make (I’m lazy like that). I’m pretty happy with the result, especially the way the fat from the bacon acts like a dressing. It’s like a hungover breakfast but in salad form. Perfection!
600gm chat potatoes, unpeeled, halved
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
90ml red wine vinegar
80ml olive oil
140gm bacon, cut into lardons
1 garlic clove, thinly chopped
1 cup roughly chopped flat leaf parsley
1. Cook potatoes in a saucepan of cold salted water, bring to the boil over a high heat and cook until tender. It will take about 30 mins. Drain and set aside.
2. Add onion and 2 tbsp of vinegar to the potatoes while still hot. Mix well and season to taste.
3. Cook eggs in a saucepan of boiling water until boiled (7-8 mins for medium boiled yolks). Drain, cool under cold running water then peel and set aside.
4. Heat oil in a frying pan over a medium heat, add the bacon and fry until crisp (5 mins) then remove from the heat and stir in the garlic. Once cool crumble in the egg.
5. Add the bacon and egg mixture to the potatoes and mix well. Top with the chopped parsley and serve.Posted by: Cara on January 13th, 2014 5 Comments »
Category: Recipe - BBQ, Recipe - Dinner, Recipe - Lunch Tags: Recipe - BBQ, Recipe - dinner, Recipe - lunch, Recipe - Salad