I’m getting into the Christmas spirit this year as my little girl is just the right age to be totally obsessed. As well as making gingerbread decorations this year we made gingerbread men which are a big hit with her as she doesn’t have to wait to Christmas to eat them.
I use the same basic gingerbread recipe which is easy to mix together and takes about 10 minutes to cook. The fun part is cutting out the gingerbread men (be careful as they are delicate) and then decorating them when they are cooled. I kept things pretty simple but you can go totally OTT with lollies and icing if you want. Guaranteed not to last until Christmas!
- 125g unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup golden syrup
- 2 1/2 cups plain flour, sifted
- 2 tsps ground ginger
- 2 tsps cinnamon
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 egg white
- 1 cup icing sugar, sifted
- 1. Preheat the oven to 180c.
- 2. Place the butter and sugar in an electric mixer and mis until light and creamy. Add the golden syrup, flour ginger, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda and mix to form a smooth dough.
- 3. Wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 mins or until the dough is firm.
- 4. Roll out the dough between sheets of non-stick baking paper to half a centimetre thick. Cut out shapes from the dough using gingerbread men shaped cookie cutters.
- 5. Place on baking trays lined with non stick baking paper. Bake for 10 mins or until golden brown.
- 6. To make the icing, mix the egg white and icing sugar until combined and so the icing is the texture of very thick honey. Add more icing sugar if you need to. Once the biscuits are cooled pipe the icing on using a piping bag with a thin nozzle attached.