Hello! My name is Cara Waters.
I’m a journalist and blogger based in Melbourne. Gourmet-Chick is the place I share my tips for travelling, eating out and cooking. Most restaurant and travel reviews are conducted anonymously and generally accompanied by MTV which is a reference to meat and three veg, my husband’s favourite type of meal. I’ve tried to make him more adventurous but it’s a work in progress…
I aim to find the best places to eat out in Melbourne, London and around the world . This doesn’t necessarily mean they’re the most expensive places or Michelin star restaurants (although I do like to go to those when I have not blown my entire salary on shoes). I like to eat everywhere gourmet whether it is a street stall, pizza joint or a high end restaurant.
Unlike most food blogs these days, Gourmet-Chick, is not just pretty pictures and menu descriptions. I try to give an opinion on whether the place is worth eating at or the recipe worth your time making.
How often do you visit a restaurant before reviewing?
Where can I read more about Gourmet Chick?
- The Daily Mail (July 2016) named Gourmet Chick as one of the world’s top luxury travel bloggers. “The best luxury travel bloggers to follow on Instagram to inspire wanderlust“.
- Tomatom (April 2014) ranked Gourmet Chick as second in a list of Melbourne’s top 200+ bloggers.
- Bandt (April 2014) also covered Gourmet Chick’s number two ranking.
- Sunday Style magazine (August 2013) included Gourmet Chick as one of its “top notch bloggers”. They said “Waters chronicles her search for Melbourne’s best eating and drinking, along with travel tales and recipes. Engaging and well-written, Gourmet Chick posts regularly – but isn’t caught up in ambulance-chasing openings. A good read.”
- The City Apartment Book (April 2013) ranked Gourmet Chick as one of its five best luxury and lifestyle blogs.
- Qantas (July 2012) featured Gourmet Chick as a travel ambassador on its website Hooroo.
- My Travel Money (July 2012) ranked Gourmet Chick as one of its Top 10 Foodie Travel Blogs.
- Edge Retreats (April 2012) ranked Gourmet Chick as one of the world’s Top 20 luxury travel blogs.
- Mise En Place (April 2012) featured an interview with me where I talked about my favourite chef and pet restaurant hate.
- The Guardian (November 2011) featured Gourmet Chick in its Christmas Gift Ideas.
- Cision (November 2011) ranked Gourmet Chick as the number one UK Food and Travel blog.
- London Confidential (August 2011) featured an interview with me covering everything from extreme diets to signature dishes.
- Food News Journal (January 2011) highlighted the Gourmet Chick interview with Antonio Carluccio in “Best of the Blogs“
- Top Table (December 2010) featured Gourmet Chick as “one of the UK’s top food bloggers”, and I was featured again on Top Table in January 2011, March 2011 and in December 2011.
- Olive magazine (July 2010) featured Gourmet Chick as blog of the month. Olive said: “Cara Waters is an Aussie living in London, and her blog offers a great mix of recipes and restaurant reviews plus coverage of some exciting foodie trips. There are lots of lovely pics to inspire you and appealing recipes such as her lemon and chicken cous cous.”