It is the season for figs right now and you will see them in abundance at the markets, squat, plump little things. The real treasure is when you slice them open to reveal the jewel like ruby interior flecked with seeds. This simple recipe makes an impressive dinner party starter that is light but still satisfying.
4 fresh figs
4 slices of prosciutto
100g goats cheese
Handful of wild rocket
Red wine vinaigrette
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees
2. Slice a cross at the top of each fig, being careful not to cut all the way down.
3. Stuff a spoonful of goats cheese into the top of each fig and then wrap a slice of prosciutto around the outside of each fig.
4. Place the figs on a tray lined with baking paper and place in the oven for about 5 minutes or until the prosciutto is slightly crisp.
5. Serve on scattered rocket dressed with vinaigrette.
Serves 4. Inspired by an old Epicure recipe.