It’s my blog birthday! It’s now seven years since I colonised this little corner of the internet and called it Gourmet-Chick. A lot has changed in that time with a move from London to Melbourne, a change in career from lawyer to journalist, Meat-and-Three-Veg boyfriend becoming MTV husband and the arrival of baby Gourmet Chicklet.
Seven years there weren’t that many food blogs around and now there are thousands. Twitter was a weird social network that I had never used and Instagram didn’t even exist. Back then taking photos of your food was a very strange thing to do whereas in 2015 it’s pretty much standard practice even if you don’t have a blog.
The one thing that hasn’t changed through all of this is my love for discovering new things to eat and drink and new places to explore. If anything I’m even more obsessed with food and travel than I was back when I started Gourmet-Chick. So in the tradition of Gourmet-Chick birthdays I wanted to share a new recipe with you for a rhubarb, honey and quinoa cake. I’m pretty sure I hadn’t ever eaten quinoa back in 2008!
- 125g butter, softened
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 150g honey
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 1 tbsp milk
- 200g rhubarb
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 180c. Grease and line the base of a springform cake tin.
- 2. Use a freestanding mixer to beat the butter until light and fluffy. Add the eggs gradually.
- 3. Add the quinoa flour, baking powder, salt, honey, lemon zest and juice and mix.
- 4. Fold in the milk.
- 5. Tip the cake mixture into the prepared tin and smooth the top.
- 6. Top with the rhubarb and sugar.
- 7. Bake for 30 mins or until a skewer comes out clean and the cake is golden.
- 8. Cool in tin and then turn out onto wire rack.